Video

Sunday 2 March 2014

Copying Files From An Old PC To A New PC ... Some Tips

Windows XP has ruled a long period of time on most of the PCs , but at the moment , this regime is over . Every Windows user wants to get rid of XP . Migrating Windows XP to Windows 7/8 is a little bit difficult and may be expensive too . There are many hurdles though , But system requirements are a vital reason . Therefore , you will have to buy a brand new PC that meets system requirements of Windows 7 or Windows 8 . 
You have migrated Windows XP to Windows 7/8 . It is good , if you don't need to spend money on buying a new PC , But if you have just bought a new PC or going to buy , then you need to find a solution for a potential issue that might trouble you . This question is , how to transfer files from PC to PC ? . Definitely , you would have kept precious and important in your old PC and after buying a new PC , now you want to transfer it into the new PC .



Copying Files From An Old PC To A New PC ... Some Tips

In this article , I have compiled a list of some useful tips , So you could do it in a good way . I hope  these tips will be proven handy and time saver for you . I do not at all claim , this list of tips is an exhaustive list . But I am positive , this will help you . There are lots of methods available to utilize , but I am going to mention a few of them .


Decide , What Is Important ?



It would not be wrong to say , each file/folder is not important that you are willing to transfer files to new computer . So , It is best , first off , figure out , what needs to be transferred or which one is useless . And don't forget to copy/move "My documents" "My pictures" "My music" and if you are a kind of regular internet user "Favorites". What ! don't know , how to find these folders ? . Not a problem . Let's start with "My documents" "My pictures" "My music" folders .


For Windows XP users , My pictures" "My music" are located inside "My document" . to find , you can use below  given command and don't forget to replace your username with your username .

C:\Documents and settings\ username \my documents


For Windows 7 and 8 users , C:\Users\Username\Documents

C:\Users\your username\My Picture

C:\Users\your username\My Music

And now , Favorite , For Windows XP ,C:\Documents and settings\ username \Favorites .

For Windows 7 and 8 users , C:\Users\your username\Favorites .





What do should use to transfer ? We can use 3 methods or sources to transfer files to new computer . USB flash drive/memory card , CD/DVD disc and Dropbox .




CD/DVD Disc


Personally , I prefer a CD/DVD disc to transfer data from PC to PC . This source is pretty nice and safe , but you will have to have a CD/DVD writer in your PC and as well as , will have to buy a blank CD/DVD disc to burn your data which want to transfer .


USB flash drive/Memory Card


USB flash drive/memory card is a popular source , but it may be risky . In fact , USB flash drive/memory card is caused to spread viruses , malware and lots of other potential security threats . So , It is better , scan any external USB flash drive/memory card with a reputable antivirus software before using them to transfer data to a new computer to avoid the risk of getting infected .


Dropbox Or Any Other Cloud Storage Service


Using Dropbox or any other cloud storage service , It is an excellent way of backing up data . I love this method , As for Dropbox , You 2 GB free disk space and you also have chances to increase disk space . I mean to say Dropbox's referral program . Here backing up is not my topic . We can Dropbox to transfer files from old PC to a new PC .
You just need to sign up and installing Dropbox on both new and old PC . Put your desired files and folders from old PC into Dropbox folder and Dropbox will automatically sync both machines together.
After syncing process , You are able to move the files in your Dropbox folder on your new PC . What to do if one have too much data . The solution is simple . Well , we can do it in increments .


At The End - I hope , this article will help you to do all this in a better way . If you have some useful suggestions , Please do share with us using the comments section . Happy Computing .

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Popular Posts

About Template